The Director Controlling reports to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, COMET Technologies USA, with dotted line responsibility to the VP Controlling for the PCT Business Division. Serves as a key member of the COMET Technologies USA management team, with primary responsibility to the PCT Business Division [~80%] and secondarily to other business process owners throughout COMET Technologies USA [~20%]. The mission will consist of providing the corporate entity with timely, accurate, transparent and insightful financial reports while providing local management with useful business intelligence enabling them to make timely and effective strategic and tactical decisions.
Director of Controlling
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Controller provides independent analyses across the entire value chain and the leadership to manage a team of Controllers within the US. In doing so, has a strong future orientation (feedforward-thinking).
- Monthly Reporting to local Division management and global Division management in Europe
- Stimulate behaviors across the organization to achieve strategic and financial targets
- Develop and advise US management on cost and working capital (AR and inventory) optimization strategies. Using appropriate and meaningful analysis, helps Division Management to fully understand the performance of the US business; primarily for the PCT Business Division
- Bring transparency to the numbers by making evident how the findings have been derived and how they have been reported (e.g. Gross margins)
- Support profitable growth strategy and help reduce risk e.g. by proposing and monitoring inventory optimization strategies
- Act as an independent internal consultant that interacts with all members of local management,
- Actively provide improvement ideas, identify business opportunities and support management with effective business decision-making
- Strive for continual improvement of all finance processes in order to get faster and more accurate information for the US Management, mainly PCT Management incl. VP Controlling PCT to direct and support their business activities
- Ensure that all data delivered is accurate and thoroughly analyzed before sending it to Corporate
- Interact with project team to track project performance, understand the project cycle and associated costs, and to identify and decrease negative variations
- Support in establishing full monthly closings in accordance with US local GAAP and IFRS requirements
- Support the proper management of the net working capital for the US activities (focusing on inventory and billing & collection process of A/R), main focus of PCT
- Ensure ongoing training and education of local staff (finance and technical) in all aspects of bookkeeping and controlling (forecasts, ad-hoc analysis etc.)
- Act as an interface between accounting department and operational staff for all financial topics
- Strive to further improve projects with the accounting software and establish safe procedures to maintain the integrity of the information in the ERP system at any time
- Help lead important projects, such as improving transparency, accuracy and speed of management information and replacing spreadsheet-based tools with fully-integrated ERP-based processes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to consistently demonstrate each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Practical experience in Finance and Controlling, with similar responsibilities in a listed multinational company. Demonstrated sensibility in cross-cultural communications and cooperation on an international level (Europe, Asia)
- A high sense of urgency, strong results orientation and the ability to adhere to tight timeframes
- Proven, hands-on knowledge of accounting and reporting systems (similar to SAP, Hyperion)
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel, advanced knowledge of the remainder of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
- Excellent communication skills: fosters a climate in which conflicts are openly discussed and communicate well on all levels of the hierarchy; remains professional and resolute in challenging situations.
- The controller is collaborative, team-oriented and helps drive accountability and execution of key finance and controlling initiatives.
- In depth knowledge of an organization’s business, processes, activities, products and a general understanding of the technology, markets and customer base. Must possess critical business process thinking skills
- Strong customer focus, detail orientation, and able to effectively engage with business partners.
| Business Acumen and |
| Communication |
[verbal, written & listening]
| Multi- tasker |
Flexibility / Agile
| Ethical Practice || Global & Cultural Awareness || Ability to Influence |
| Relationship Management |
Attention to Detail
| Solutions Oriented || Planning and Organizing || Results Oriented |
| Mathematical Skills || Reasoning Ability || |
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, occasionally moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach above shoulders; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move drawings, files, parts, and manuals weighing up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel is typically US centric, primarily between multiple area facilities, although out-of-area / global travel is to be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- 8 plus years of finance experience (Controlling and / or FP&A) gained in various industries and positions
- BS or BA in a relevant discipline required, MBA preferred; relevant industry experience a plus
- SAP experience is a bonus
- Proficient with all MicroSoft Office products [Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook]. Requires the ability to operate a variety of standard office machines, to include a computer, telephone, fax, copier, etc., and the ability to operate a variety of test and development equipment.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, order of operations, exponents, and general algebra.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of inputs and abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to perform strong analysis across the value chain that allows proactive handling of critical issues and potential problems before they arise.
- Ability to read quotes, contracts and proposals from a technical, legal and financial perspective to minimize risk to the organization.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively and proactively communicate with groups of managers, customers, and employees of the organization ensuring binding and relevant items are in writing.
We take data protection seriously. “COMET AG” and software partner umantis AG have taken the necessary organizational and technical measures to ensure the confidentiality of your application. All HR personnel and umantis employees have a duty to maintain confidentiality with respect to personal data as part of their employment contract. Automatic 128-bit encryption ensures that your data is transmitted securely. The processing of your data complies with general data security standards based on the latest technology.